2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Disaster
The 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami disaster caused by the earthquake of magnitude of 9.0 occurred on 11 March 2011, off the Pacific coast of the northeastern part of the Japanese main land (Tohoku Region).
Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation Institution (DRI) is currently analyzing the social and scientific impact of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami disaster and preparing measures for recovery/reconstruction based on its study of 1995 Hanshin Awaji earthquake and assumed Tokai-Tonankai-Nankai earthquake tsunami disaster.
DRI was established on 2002 to accumulate and transfer knowledge acquired through from 1995 Hanshin Awaji earthquake through museum exhibition, disaster education, socio-scientific researches and disaster trainings for local officials. DRI also provide emergency assistance for local government.
Since its establishment, DRI has been conducting study regarding to assumed Tokai-Tonankai-Nankai earthquake tsunami disaster, which assumed to hit central-west area of the Japanese main land. Both 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami disaster and assumed Tokai-Tonankai-Nankai earthquake tsunami disaster are “Multi-regional catastrophic disaster”. It characteristic can be defined as multi-regional physical/human damages and necessity for multi-sectional response coordination. Lack of daily supplies, necessity for mass evacuation and indirect effect in not-disaster-affected-area which can be observed in present tsunami disaster are some of features of multi-regional catastrophic disaster. In order to share the social and scientific knowledge of this disaster internationally DRI decided to launch this web-page.
- -April 12: Special Exhibition (April 12th~ , 1st Floor of DRI West Building)
- -March 23: Dispatched 3rd Expert Team to Miyagi Prefecture Disaster Management Center (March 23~27)
- -March 21: Dispatched 2nd Expert Team to Miyagi Prefecture Disaster Management Center (March 21~23)
- -March 14: Dispatched 1st Expert Team to Miyagi Prefectural Disaster Management Center (March 14 ~ 24)
- Characteristics of Multi-regional Catastrophic Disaster and its response (Japanese)
- Lessons from the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake